When 2015 ended, I had no idea that I’m up to something so awesome you won’t actually believe it: I was able to book a flight to Coron for just Php 400!! I’m serious, when I paid that, I was like “did that just happen?” But what exactly happened? Here’s a rundown of my flight to Coron, Palawan: from booking to collecting memories. This is #BudgetTrip featuring the #BTCoron series.
START THE YEAR WITH A BANG!
FLYING VIA SKYJET
8 months after booking, the day has come! A few days before my flight, my blogger friends Ruth of www.ruthdelacruz.com and Melo of www.outoftownblog.com asked me if I want to join their trip to Coron. Since the date was almost the same, what was supposed to be a solo trip to Coron became a group trip with my blogger friends!
A 35-MINUTE FLIGHT TO CORON
Yes, you’ve read that right. It just took us less than 35 minutes to reach Busuanga Airport. That’s even less than the travel time from Makati to Cubao. I remember I was really tired during the flight that I wanted to sleep and even before I close my eyes, oops, here we are already. That was actually a funny moment.
MOST BEAUTIFUL ISLAND IN THE WORLD
Coron is hailed as the most beautiful island in the world and there’s no doubt about it. However it rained the entire trip which is kinda sad. The sun did shine a couple of times so that’s still good. Nevertheless, it’s nice that I got the chance to see Coron during its best and worst time. It was really a lovely place.
SUSPENSION & DELAYS
TIPS & TRICK
You are probably wondering how I was able to book that Php 400 RT ticket. Well here are my top hacks when it comes to buying tickets online.
1. Go for seat sale. Trust me, it’s worth it. Be ready to spend not just hours but days. It’s a total war out there I tell you but hey, it will all be worth it.
2. Book intelligently. You are smart, use it. I always book during the first day and on the last day. If you fail to book on the first day, I suggest wait for the last day or two of the sale. Usually, the system refreshes and all missed payments will go back to the pool opening up new ticket slots (or that’s what I think. It’s just my theory.)
3. Stay incognito. Most airlines track how you book. The more you search, the more they know. They’re like Big Brother. If you keep on searching for flights, the tendency is they raise the price since they can detect that you are going to book. So stay incognito.
4. Keep your notifications on. Winners start early. You may want to be the first in line so don’t forget to sign up your e-mail and turn your notifications especially on Facebook so you get the first updates.
5. Read the terms. One thing that most travelers forget is to read the terms and conditions. Before booking read them carefully. Airlines usually give a list of available tickets they are going to sale. For example, they may sell 400 tickets to Cebu and 1000 tickets to Davao. Which do you think will give you have a higher chance of booking? Now, you get the idea.
6. Fly during off-peak season. You have a higher chance of finding cheaper rates during off-peak season and that is June-November. Avoid the holidays as much as possible. Summer is rare.
7. Go to travel expo. Last but not the least, go to travel expos. Right now there’s Travel Mart which is happening from Sept 2-4, 2016. Many companies sell tickets and tour packages at a very low rate during expos.
That’s it! Hope you enjoy this first part of my #BTCoron series. Stay tuned for the next parts!